Wellington - New Zealand
- Market leading NZ company with a global focus
- Fun, fast paced, high growth tech environment
- Wellington based leadership role
Modica Group is a cloud-based enterprise messaging provider with global clients and partners. We provide secure, high-volume, messaging solutions to help businesses have better two-way conversations.
We have a growth culture; one founded on innovation, nimbleness, and a desire to be the best in every market we play in. As a well-established New Zealand founded company, we’re proud of our strong growth trajectory and current world-wide expansion
About the opportunity
Due to our continued growth and our focus on being the best in the market we have created this new leadership role. The People Lead for the Development team is responsible for providing people leadership and proactive support to our geographically dispersed technical teams of Developers, to drive exceptional employee experience, innovation and high performance. You will work closely with our Developers to ensure the team has everything they need to deliver, operate at peak performance, and enjoy what we do.
You will use your outstanding people leadership skills to focus on the professional development of our people. You will continue regular 1:1’s, support goal setting, training opportunities, and assist in identifying knowledge and delivery gaps. You will also assist in managing performance assessments and issues, and help grow the Development team.
We are early in our Agile Journey and you will assist in coaching and training team members as we embed these processes and ceremonies further. You should have knowledge of continuous delivery processes and principles, be familiar with Agile methodologies, and help ensure our best practice DevOps standards are adhered to.
What you'll do:
- Encourage and assist in building plans for the professional development of the engineers under your care
- Engage with the engineers and the supporting processes across the squads you lead, to build close relationships and continually improve our ways of working together
- Support the Delivery Squad Lead in executing and improving cross-cutting talent management initiatives and processes such as recruitment, growth and performance management
- Role-model exemplary leadership, supporting and growing our engineering teams capability across Modica
- Assist in championing principles and practices that make it possible for engineers to get our world leading work done, while promoting a safe environment for people to experiment and learn
- Assist with the development of a world-class engineering culture where engineers have the skills and autonomy needed to build high-quality, reliable and scalable products and services
- Help to nurture a fun, rewarding, innovative and outcome driven culture that lives by our Modica values
- Attract, recruit and retain high performing engineers
- Measure the health of your team, ensuring that all members of your team are empowered to raise ideas and concerns, and that everyone contributes to improvements in how the team works together
- Run initiatives designed to improve the overall health and wellbeing of the team you manage
What you’ll bring with you:
- Experience managing teams using modern leadership techniques
- A growth mindset - you understand that competency is not fixed but is enhanced through dedication and hard work
- Experience with Agile processes and techniques, and all aspects of modern software development
- Proven ability to navigate areas of conflict in an open, positive and proactive way
- High EQ - you are self-aware, self-regulated, motivated and empathetic, with great interpersonal skills
- Great facilitation skills. Can lead workshops unaided
- You’re ok with uncertainty and change – and bring clarity amongst it
- The ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment, break down complex problems, deliver pragmatic solutions and be able to manage changing priorities
- Excellent written, interpersonal, communication and presentation skills
- The ability to live our Modica vision and values, translating them into day-to-day activities and behaviours, with them at the heart of your decision-making
More about us
We’re proud to have a team of straight-up and honest people. Our people have an opinion, challenge constructively and have each other’s back. They are experts in their fields and hungry to contribute.
About the benefits
We offer a supportive environment as it is important to us that you are happy and healthy. Alongside a competitive salary, we offer benefits that rival those of large corporations. To support you we offer some fantastic perks including health and life insurance, home internet contributions, regular team lunches, fruit twice a week and your birthday off.
If helping to lead a highly successful Development team at DORA ‘elite’ status is something you would be proud to be a part of ‘apply now’ with a cover letter letting us know why you will be a great addition to our team. Applications close as soon as the right candidate applies, but no later than Thursday 1st April.